Thanksgiving Prep: Green Bean Casserole
There are two types of people in this world: green bean casserole lovers, and those who wouldn’t touch it with a 10-foot pole. This recipe is for both of those who are die-hard GBC lovers, and those who fall in the latter group, as it is creamy, homestyle, made from scratch, and no canned cream of mushroom required! Delicious.
Fun fact — Several decades ago many home cooks got their recipes from recipe pamphlets which major food companies would produce as a way of encouraging to buy their products. Campbell’s Soup Company’s Dorcas Reilly thought of GBC as a way to drive sales of cream of mushroom soup!
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon marsala wine
- 2 tablespoon cream sherry (or regular sherry if that is what is on hand)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. fresh green beans
- Crispy onion strings to garnish (Check out OMC Smokehouse’s cookbook for their recipe!)
- Sauté the mushrooms and in the olive oil until mushrooms have turned golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Once the moisture has been pulled from the mushrooms, add the salt.
- Add the wine and sherry, and reduce; allow the alcohol to boil off for 2-3 minutes.
- Reserve 1 1/2 tablespoon heavy cream, put to the side.
- Add the remaining amount of cream and stir.
- Add remaining seasonings and stir, bringing to a simmer.
- Combine remaining 1 1/2 tablespoon cream and cornstarch, stir to smooth consistency and add to the sauce, stir sauce constantly.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Steam green beans in steamer for 10 minutes.
- Rinse and cool green beans.
- Combine mushroom sauce with green beans and fold until combined.
- Top with crispy onion strings if desired, and serve immediately.
- Yields about 4 servings.
If you do decide to recreate this recipe, tag us on Facebook or Instagram, @duluthgrill. Looking for more of our recipes? Purchase our cookbooks here! Looking forward to seeing your recreations! Happy Holidays ♡